Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tutorial and Tips for the Matchbox Die!

When you get the Matchbox Die for the Big Shot, the length of the die is longer than a 6x12" sheet of paper that we would normally use for the Bigz XL Dies. You need two pieces of 5 1/2 x 6 1/2" piece of paper to cover the entire cut area. I saw a video about a tip for making economical cuts from one 12x12 piece of paper, but the instructions were a bit confusing. I decided to make a Photo Tutorial for how to cut the paper! Let me know if the instructions are clear.

Start with a sturdy piece of chipboard, such as the piece that comes in the back of a pack of Stampin' Up! Designer Series Paper. You will be creating a template that you can use each time you need a piece of 5 1/2" x 6 1/2" paper! Instructions are in the photos.

To use the template:
  • Now that you have your template. All you have to do is lay the template over a piece of 12 x 12" paper.
  • Trace the square onto the 12x12 paper.
  • Now you will lay the paper on your paper trimmer and line it up with the 5 1/2" mark.
  • Cut the paper until your blade's "hash mark" arrows line up with the bottom of the square.
  • Lift the blade.
  • Rotate the paper 1/4 turn.
  • Repeat the steps until you have the 5 pieces shown in the photo.
I took two pieces of Designer Series Paper cut from the template above, and put one face up and one face down on the Matchbox Die. I ran it through the Big Shot with the premium crease pad and a couple of pieces of thin chipboard (like what came with the die) for shims. I found that I had to use extra shims for this die, as compared to other dies.

There are 3 tag shapes that are included in the die. I used two of them on the top of my box. This box was made from the Sending Love Designer Series Paper. I LOVE this paper!! I accidentally ordered two packs and I am so glad I did!! The colors are real red, pretty in pink, chocolate chip, very vanilla, and rose red. What's not to LOVE? Stay tuned for more projects using the Big Shot die and the Sending Love DSP!

Contact me to order any of the products used to complete this project.
Thanks for stopping by today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have questions, email me at creativepzazz@gmail.com.