Friday, September 11, 2009

My First Swap

I am participating in a swap. That is where you create a card for each member of your group and they each create one for every member of the group. In the end you will have with as many cards as there are members of the group. I joined a Stampin' Up! SWAP of 8 people at It's Stamp Time Somewhere. Jeanna was kind enough to let me in the SWAP. I didn't realize it was hard for first timers to get into a SWAP group. She tells us which stamp set to use, and we all make a card using that set. We will end up with several cards using the same set to show how versatile the stamp set is to our customers at workshops and classes.

What is a workshop or class? A workshop is where I come to you and your friends to demonstrate or teach you how to make certain cards or some other small project to take home. A class is where you pay a fee, come to me, and we make several projects to take home. At each even you can order products from Stampin' Up! to help you get started at home on your own. Of course you can then get inspiration from my blog and others too.

Now back to this card for the swap. I wanted it to be very special, since it was my first swap. I am posting two photos for you. The first one to show you the card, but this second view used my flash to show you just how much this card really shines. It is so beautiful, yet so simple! I would love to have a tree full of these medallions stamped using this Simmer Paint. (If you do this, please come back and comment or email me so I can see photos, please.) I used Rich Razzleberry cardstock with the Silver Shimmer Paint, and it turned out so festive and rich.

Here's how to make the card:
Cut the Rich Razzleberry cardstock to 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" that is scored and folded at 4 1/4". I punched a Modern Label Punch from Whisper White carstock.For the stamping, I poured a dime sized amount of Silver Shimmer Paint onto the lid of a cool whip tub. Get a Stampin' Sponge and get just a little bit of Shimmer Paint on the sponge, then dab it over and over on a clean spot of the lid. This will distribute the paint all evenly over the sponge. If there is a glob of paint on the sponge, it will get into the depressions of the stamp and ruin the stamped image. Dab the sponge (do NOT rub) over the letters of the Merry Christmas from the Teeny Tiny Wishes Stamp Set. This paint does not dry as quickly as ink, so you do have plenty of time. Stamp the image onto Rich Razzleberry cardstock. Allow to dry. Punch out using the Word Window Punch. Paint the Modern Label Punch using the Silver Shimmer Paint. You may use either a paint brush or the sponge. Allow to dry.

Place a larger piece of scrap paper inside the folded Rich Razzleberry card (I learned this the hard way). Lay the card on a second piece of scrap paper. Use the sponge to dab Shimmer Paint over the the entire surface of the Medallion Stamp Set. Again, be careful to pounce the sponge on a clean area of the lid after dipping in more paint before you start dabbing the stamp again. It does not need a heavy coat of paint. Use the paint very sparingly. I will discuss problems with stamping below, which only happen if you put too much paint on the stamp, by the way. To stamp, you will place the stamp and apply pressure all over the stamp. Do not allow the stamp to move. Stamp the image on the Rich Razzleberry cardstock. Pick the stamp straight up. Allow to dry. Attach the dry modern label punch to the card using Snail Adhesive and the word window punch using Dimensionals on top of the label.

Mistakes:
  • On the sentiment stamp it is VERY important that you do not get too much paint in between the letters or it will not stamp clearly.
  • Well, as I said I learned the hard way that you stamp the image with the card folded, because if you don't your stamp may leave a gap right next to the fold line. Stamping with it folded leaves a perfectly clean image all over the front of the card.
  • Stamp with the card closed or the image may have gaps in it.
  • The entire stamp will not fit the front of the card. Don't stress if it goes off the edge on both sides or if it goes off too much on one side; all these add to the beauty of the image.
  • Also, if you apply too much paint (yes, I did this too) to the stamp, the stamp will want to slide on the card. Continue as normal and assess the damage. See what to do below for examples of what to do.
What to do:
Even if you make a mistake listed above, you still can produce a beautiful finished project. This card was stamped with the card open. The edge near the fold was missing. What to do? Add some Silver Stretch Cord tied in a bow to cover up the area!
In the tag below, I had put too much paint on and the stamp slid creating a smear at the bottom right. What to do? I trimmed off the back of the card. Trimmed off the mistake area. Used the Corner Rounder to round off the corners, then I punched a hole and added a piece of Silver Stretch Cord for a tag.
Finally, I stamped an image on an open card and didn't press in the left corner well, so I trimmed off the back of the card, trimmed off the mistake areas. I then used my craft knife to trim around the stamp leaving a small amount of Rich Razzleberry on each side to hold the image and added a Modern Label Punch painted in Silver shimmer Paint for a name or sentiment. I folded along that line and created either a place card or a small note/gift card.

Thanks for stopping by today. All products in Bold-faced type are Stampin' Up! Contact me to order. 334.493.2511 or creativepzazz@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. I am not usuallya purple girl but that is really pretty with the gray!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have questions, email me at creativepzazz@gmail.com.